The most awaited and glamorous event of the year in India is IPL cricket matches and everybody around here is excited about it. This is more exciting for the cricket lovers and the fans of IPL including all the cricketers around the globe who collect themselves together to celebrate cricket. In order to grab people’s attention, event managers of IPL prudently make use of various marketing techniques as this helps to engage more fans and viewers.
There are many tricks for marketers to learn from IPL digital marketing as they use various tactics and techniques that every team and even the individual player uses to market themselves.
So coming on to various digital marketing techniques of IPL: –
1. The Season of IPL: In my opinion, IPL’s player auction, its inauguration ceremony; all are part of its marketing strategies. As April and May are that time period where many of college goers like us are mostly free and in a holiday mood, children are also completely free of their exam burdens, this is the perfect time to engage the audience towards the Indian Premier League.
2. Collaboration of Renowned Brands: IPL is an assorted form of all the big brands from various industries. The teams are owned by big players, so in order to create more hum about it, brands like Vivo, Nokia, HP, Blue Star, Asian Paints, Dominos, Ford, Sleep well etc are associated with IPL. There are more than 30 brands constantly participating in IPL.
3. Higher Level of Influencer Marketing: Each team is involved in promoting various brands which are associated with IPL. For example, Royal Challengers, Bangalore (RCB), is involved in marketing the products of HP, Mumbai Indians are marketing the products of CEAT. Similarly, every player and teams are involved to market the various products of different brands. There are various campaigns run in social media using hashtags related to IPL. This creates lot of buzz amongst cricket enthusiast in social Media. This way, the digital marketers to learn how to use the various influencer marketing techniques at the right place and time to engage the audience towards a particular brand.
4. Comprehensive Use of Social Media: Social media on the other hand is playing an important role in marketing every team of IPL. They are also involved in posting Real Time pictures, Live videos, Live scores, Blogs etc on it.
All the teams also have their websites where they maintain all the records, schedules, scores, blogs and fixtures. These websites attract lot of traffic.
5. Trending Hashtags on Twitter: The IPL event is so popular that everyone talks about it. Those who have collaborated with the IPL teams, they often trend on Twitter. For example #Vivo trends during the IPL match as being the main sponsor.
6. Connecting With The People: We have talked earlier also that audience is the market key for the marketers and it is very crucial to connect with the audience. If you are simply selling the product and not connecting with the audience then it is of no use. So, in this case you must learn the tactics that IPL teams follow to connect with their audience. The teams are currently posting their content especially videos in different languages like English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Tamil etc as the teams belong to the different regions of the country and follow different languages accordingly.
7. Organising Various Contests:There are more than 30 brands involved in IPL and every player is conducting some or the other contests.
IPL also helps us to know that running appealing campaigns not only engage the audience but also helps you to get a good number of leads.
IPL is currently a great platform through which a marketer can learn a lot of promotional techniques. While we students of JSTS are enjoying the IPL matches, we also try learning the digital marketing techniques of IPL as part of our class project. I feel it has been really fun to learn marketing by watching IPL matches.
Contributor: Vidhi Mishra
Contribution of this blog is part of student assignment and not an official communication of the organization.